Topeka is the capital city of the state of Kansas, United States. It is located in Shawnee County, on the Kansas River in the northeastern part of the state. The city is approximately 63 miles (101 km) west of Kansas City, Missouri.
- Population: 126,583 (2020 US Census)
- Area: 61.74 square miles (160.0 km2)
- Elevation: 878 feet (267 m)
- Climate: Humid continental
- Time zone: Central Time Zone (UTC−6)
- County: Shawnee County
- State: Kansas
- Country: United States
Political Map of Topeka City
As the capital of Kansas, Topeka is governed by a city council and mayor. The city council is responsible for local legislative matters, while the mayor serves as the head of the city government. The political system adheres to the democratic principles of the United States.
Geography Map of Topeka City
- Geography: Topeka is situated on the Kansas River and features a mix of urban and suburban areas. The city is characterized by gently rolling hills, making it a picturesque location.
- Climate: Topeka experiences a continental climate. Summers are typically hot with temperatures averaging in the 80s and 90s°F (26-36°C), while winters are cold with temperatures often dropping below freezing.
Transport Map of Topeka City
Topeka is served by a variety of transportation options, including air, rail, and road.
- Air: Topeka is served by the Topeka Regional Airport (TOP), which offers commercial flights to several major US cities.
- Rail: Amtrak provides passenger rail service to Topeka through the Topeka Amtrak Station.
- Road: Topeka is located at the intersection of two major interstate highways, I-70 and I-335. The city is also served by a network of state and local highways.