Kentucky is a US state located in the east south-central region along the west side of the Appalachian Mountains. It is officially known as the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Map of Kentucky is the 37th most extensive state with an area of 40,409 square miles. It is the 26th most populous state in the United States with 4.46 million people (2019 est.) Frankfort is the official state capital of Kentucky while Louisville is its largest city.
Kentucky Map Facts
- Capital City: Frankfort (pop) 27,077(2009 est.)
- Kentucky Population: 4,380,415 (2012 est.) (26th)
- Currency: U.S. Dollar (conversion rates)
- Language: English, others
- Largest Cities: (by population) Louisville, Lexington, Owensboro, Bowling Green, Covington, Hopkinsville
- Statehood: June 1, 1792 (15th state)
- Area rank: 37th
- Website: kentucky.gov
Where is Kentucky?
Kentucky is located in the east south-central region along the west side of the Appalachian Mountains. It is the 37th most extensive state with an area of 40,409 square miles. Kentucky borders West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. The state’s highest elevation point is on Black Mountain and has a height of 1,263 meters.