Florida is located in the southeastern region of the United States. It is the third-most populous state With a population of over 21 million. The Political Map of Florida covers an area of 65,755 square miles which makes it the 22nd largest state in the country. The state capital of Florida is Tallahassee and its most populous city is Jacksonville. Florida shares a land border with only two other states, both along its northern boundary: Georgia (east) and Alabama (west).
Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León made the first European contact with this region in 1513. At that time, the state’s name was la Florida and It was under the control of Spain and Great Britain. Florida joined the Union on March 3, 1845, as the 27th state. At the time of the civil war, Florida declared its secession from the Union on January 10, 1861. The state was again restored to the Union on June 25, 1868.
Florida Map Facts
- Admitted to the Union: March 3, 1845 (27th)
- Capital City: Tallahassee (pop. 168,979) (2010 est.)
- Florida Population: 19,317,568 (2012 est.) (4th)
- Currency: U.S. Dollar (conversion rates)
- Language: English, others
- Largest City: Jacksonville
- Major Cities: Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando, Hialeah, Tallahassee
- Borders: Alabama, Georgia, Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic Ocean