South Carolina is the US state in the southeastern region of the United States. Map of South Carolina shares borders with Georgia, North Carolina, and the Atlantic Ocean. It is the 40th largest state in the United States with covering an area of 32,020 square miles. The state comprised 5 million people (2018 est.), which makes it the 23rd most populated state in the country. Columbia is the state capital of South Carolina, while Charleston is the largest city of the state.
South Carolina Map Facts
- Capital: Columbia
- Population: 5 million
- Nickname: The Palmetto State
- Key Cities: Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Greenville, Spartanburg, Florence
- Date admitted to the Union: Friday, May 23, 1788
- Size: 32,020 sq. miles
- Lowest point: the Atlantic Ocean at sea level
- Highest point: Sassafras Mountain at 3,560 ft.
- Counties: 46
Cities of South Carolina
Columbia is the state capital of South Carolina, while Charleston is the largest city of the state. Largest cities in South Carolina with a population: Columbia (133,000), Charleston (128,000), North Charleston (104,000), Mount Pleasant (75,000), Rock Hill (69,000), Greenville (61,000), Summerville (46,000), Sumter (41,000), Hilton Head Island (39,000).