Rufous Hornero Is The National Animal of Argentina. The Rufous Hornero (Furnarius rufus) is a medium-sized ovenbird in the family Furnariidae It occurs in eastern South America. It Is Also known as the red ovenbird, it is common in savannas, second-growth scrub, pastures, and agricultural land and is synanthropic.
Its range includes southeastern and southern Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, and northern and central Argentina, extending as far south as northern Patagonia. The species is most closely related to the crested Hornero of Paraguay and Argentina.
Argentina national animal Hornero Is a bird that makes its nest with mud and grass, little branches, and threads, plastic, anything it can get. Predator birds and others can’t get inside it due to a spiral entrance. It maintains the same couple all life and does not migrate. The Bird symbolizes the hard work of the Argentine People, fidelity, loyalty to the land, and the building of a new nation out of nothing.
It was elected in 1928 as a result of a nationwide contest in which schoolchildren were asked what bird should represent the National Animal. One vote per school. The Hornero won the contest over the Condor and the Tero (southern lapwing), being second and third. The reason was that the Tero lives in the plains, the Condor in the Andes, but the Argentina national animal Hornero is present almost everywhere in the country, so more kids knew it.
National Animal of Argentina Facts:
- It has strong legs and feet, broad wings, a longish tail, and a strong- straight bill.
- It is a slightly paler buffy-brown, with a whitish throat.
- They nest an “oven” built of mud or dung, sometimes mixed with straw, on a post or isolated tree.
- They lay 3 to 4 eggs with an incubation period is 15 days and young fledge after 60 days.
- This bird song is a long series of a raucous bursts of “kweep”, often ending with slower, complaining notes, and usually uttered in duet by the pair.
✅What Animal is Argentina known for?
The condor is well-known because it’s an important national symbol of Argentina and several other South American countries.
✅What is Argentina Best known for?
Argentina is known for its passion for soccer, Mate culture, and love for Tango. The country offers a unique experience for travelers. Argentina is also famous for its quality wine, delicious food, and world-renowned landmarks.