The arms of Canada was adopted by King George V in 1921. The year after Confederation the arms were able to be used on May 6th. The design was approved in 1994.
The design was changed many times to improve it. For example, in 1994, the coat of arms was improved by adding a ribbon showing the motto of the Order of Canada.