There is no official National Fish record in India. The Ganges River Dolphin Is The National Aquatic Animal of India. The Ministry of Environment and Forests declared the Ganges River Dolphin as the National Aquatic Animal on 18th May 2010. It represents the purity of the holy Ganga as it can only survive in pure and fresh water.
India National Fish History
Dolphins are one of the oldest creatures in the world along with some species of turtles, crocodiles, and sharks. The Ganges river dolphin was officially discovered in 1801. Ganges river dolphins once lived in the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna and Karnaphuli-Sangu river systems of Nepal, India, and Bangladesh. But the species is extinct from most of its early distribution ranges.
River Dolphin Facts
- Common Name: Ganges river dolphin, blind dolphin, Ganges dolphin, Ganges Susu, Gangetic dolphin, hihu, side-swimming dolphin.
- Scientific name: Platanista gangetica
- Length: Body length ranges from 5 – 8 feet. Females are usually a few larger than males.
- Weight: Adults have a natural weight of between 60 and 90 kg.
- Color: The Ganges River dolphin is primarily dark on its back and the abdomen is white. The back is either black or dark brown, and the underside is white or cream-colored. From the lower jaw to the flipper is dark streak stretches.
- Diet: The Ganges River dolphin has a diet that includes a variety of fish and invertebrates, namely prawns, shrimps, clams, catfish, freshwater sharks, gobies, and carp.
- Reproduction: Females give birth to one progeny every two to three years. The gestation period averages 12 months. Calving occurs at all times of the year with a peak in December and January, preceding the beginning of the dry season.
- Lifespan: Average 20 years. Females usually live longer than males.
Indian National Fish
Indian national fish Dolphin is very social, and they live in large groups called pods. They have a very intricate chain of command that keeps them organized and they have a propensity to create subgroups, are based on age and other factors. They are very energetic and seem to be able to move almost effortlessly through the water. River dolphins are also very much playful, so they have spent their time teasing each other.
✅Does India Have a National Fish?
India has no recognized national fish records. The Ganges River Dolphin is India’s national aquatic animal. On May 18, 2010, the Ministry of Environment and Forests designated the Ganges River Dolphin as the National Aquatic Animal.
✅Which Fish is Best in India?
- Indian Salmon – Known as Rawas or Gurjali, this is a popular fish found across India.
- Rohu – This fish is a member of the Carp family, which people in Eastern India commonly eat.
- Pink Perch
- Fish Moilee