State Flower Of Ohio
The Flower “Red Carnation” Is The Official State Flower Of Ohio. Ohio Adopted the red carnation (Dianthus caryophyllus) as the official state flower in 1904. The red carnation was designated the official state flower in honor of President William McKinley, the 12th president of the United States who was assassinated in 1901. McKinley wore a red carnation on his jacket whenever he attended official functions. The white trillium is the official wildflower of Ohio. The Ohio State Flower red carnation flowers are between 2 and 3 inches across with five-clawed and serrated petals. Although they are known as “red,” Their color varies from red, white to pink.
They can either be found as single flowers or in forked clusters. The carnation is a durable, delightful, and delicate flower. Its scientific name “Dianthus” translates to “flower of the gods”.It is one of the oldest and most cultivated flowers because of the ruffled appearance, long blooming period and clove-like scent. The history of the carnation dates back to the Roman and Greek times when it was used for decor and art. Christians believe that the first carnation bloomed when Mary wept as Jesus carried the cross to his place of crucifixion. The State Flower Of Ohio carnations symbolize love, distinction, and fascination, but like other flowers, different colors express a different message. A light red carnation symbolizes admiration while the dark carnations express love and affection. The Ohio State Flower carnation is the official flower of mother’s day in the United States. It is also worn in boutonnieres and corsages for prom and special events.
Facts About Scarlet Carnations:
- Leaves of Scarlet Carnations are Linear 4-6 inches, narrow, green to glaucous blue with a waxy covering.
- Scarlet Carnation shrubs are perennials, and grow up to 2 feet tall depending on the variety.
- The stems of Scarlet Carnation plants are woody at the base and have herbaceous branches.
- The flowering stems of Scarlet Carnations have swollen nodes.
- The presence of carotenoids and flavonoids give coloration to the flowers.
- Scarlet carnations have fruit in the form of a capsule with many small seeds.
- Scarlet carnations can be propagated by cuttings or seed.