State Flower Of West Virginia
The Rhododendron Maximum Or Great Laurel Is The Official State Flower Of West Virginia. Rhododendron was Adopted as the official state flower of West Virginia in 1903. The rhododendron beat honeysuckle and wild rose by more than 15,000 votes in a poll of public school children for West Virginia State Flower across the state. Rhododendrons Flower is the natives of the eastern US and northern Alabama. Rhododendrons are very popular as landscaping plants.
The rhododendrons are monoecious with inflorescence of between 15 and 30 funnel-shaped flowers. The flowers are five-lobed and about an inch long. Flowers range from pale pink to white but are occasionally deep pink to a rose red. Each flower has eight stamens. The leaf of the State Flower Of West Virginia rhododendron is evergreen, simple, pinnately veined, alternate, and between 4 to 10 inches. The leaves’ rolled edges curl during the winter. The fruits of the have many tiny seeds contained in a red-brown capsule that is 1/2 inch long. The fruits mature in October and split along five lines. The twigs are pale green in color with small vegetative buds enclosed in tiny leaves.
The bark of the West Virginia State Flower rhododendron is thin, smooth, and light brown when young. The Flower Rhododendron bark breaks to thin scales when the stem matures. Rhododendrons are common in West Virginia and throughout the eastern portion of the United States. The State Flower Of West Virginia flourishes on hillsides, ravines and under tree canopies of maples and hemlock. The success of the plant is partly attributed to the fact that it thrives in various climatic conditions including dense shades and sunny regions. The average height of the plant is 15ft, but some can grow to 40 feet.
Facts About Rhododendron Maximum
- Rhododendron leaves are alternate, evergreen, simple, elliptical, 4-10 inches long, pinnately veined.
- The flower was introduced to Britain in 1656 from the Alps than to America by the British.
- Rhododendron’s hardwood is used for tool handles, decorative objects, and fuel.
- Rhododendron is the state flower of Sikkim, India, and the national flower of Nepal.
- Rhododendron fruit is Red-brown 1/2 inch long elongated capsule, containing many tiny seeds, in a long-stemmed cluster, maturing in fall.
- The flower Rhododendron plant consists of flower stems that are sticky.
- The flower Rhododendron flower buds are distinctly larger than vegetative buds.