What is the State Animal of California?
Grizzly Bear is the official state animal of California. Grizzly Bear was entitled to the official California state animal in 1953. Ursus arctos californicus is the scientific name of Grizzly Bear. It is commonly known as the North American brown bear or brown bear or Golden bear.
On June 14, 1953, the Governor Earl Warren signed the legislation proposed in Assembly Bill No. 1014 that entitling the Grizzly Bear as California’s official state animal. The California grizzly bear or brown bear is one of the most visible and enduring symbols of California, which adorning both the state flag and seal.
State animal of California Facts—
- Common Name: Grizzly Bear
- Scientific Name: Ursus arctos californicus
- Color: From blond to nearly black grizzly bear hair is typically brown with darker legs and commonly white or blond-tipped hair on the flank and back.
- Height: 5-8 feet
- Weight: Adult male grizzlies weigh on average 180–360 kg (400–790) lb while an adult female weighs 130–180 kg (290–400 lb).
- Diet: Omnivorous (That means they eat both the vegetation and meat)
- Cubs: 2-3 (during winter)
- Major strength: Agility, smelling and hearing power
- Major weakness: Poor vision
- Lifespan: 20-30 years
California state animal, Grizzly Bears typically don’t roam very far. They are very defensive of their territory. They scratch trees with their claws to mark supremacy of a region. About 75% of a Grizzly Bears diet plants. They eat bird eggs, fish, small mammals, and carrion. They are omnivores but they do not try for large target mostly. Grizzly Bears love to eat honey. In the summer, Grizzly Bears consume wild cherries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and other brambles. In the fall, they consume acorns and nuts.
California’s state animal, Grizzly Bears are tremendously nimble. They can run at about 35 miles per hour. They are also good climbers and swimmers too. Grizzly Bears are watchful animals and characteristically not hostile towards human beings. Most Grizzly Bear cubs are born around January. January’s full moon is occasionally called the ‘bear moon’ for this reason. State animal of California, Grizzly Bears naturally live 20-30 years if they are not exterminated by humans or causes related to humans.