National Animal of Nigeria
Eagle is the national animal of Nigeria, which belongs to the family of Accipitridae, class of Aves and kingdom of Animalia. Nigeria’s national animal Eagle is one of the largest birds in the world. Generally, 60 species of eagles are from Eurasia and Africa and only 14 species found in Central and South, two in North America, America, and Australia that means eagle can found all over the world except on the New Zealand and Antarctica.
Nigeria’s national animal, Eagle is the very attractive animal, which is accepted by most of the countries. It has different symbolic meanings, such as; Opportunity, Protection, Guardianship, Masculinity, Dominance, Control, Freedom, Community, Command, Action Authority, Skill, Focus, Determination, Vision, Power, Liberation, Inspiration, Ruler and Judgment. Eagle became the national animal of Nigeria. It is also the national animal of Austria and coat of arms of Mexico.
National animal of Nigeria Facts
- Common name: Eagle, animal bird.
- Habitat: Freshwater lakes, reservoirs, and rivers, although they can sometimes be found near the coast at the mouths of rivers or lagoons. Also prefers mountains, canyons, forests, open plains.
- Diet: Variety of mammals such as rabbits, marmots, mice, hares, fish, the odd wounded or dead lamb or other similarly motionless larger prey, as well as other sporadic animals and carrion (dead animal carcass). They also eat foxes and young deer.
- Song and Calls: A series of high pitched whistling or piping notes, rather weak for such a powerful bird.
- Weight: Males weigh from 2.8 to 4.6 kg with an average 3.69 kg while females weigh from 3.8 to 6.7, with an average of 5.17 kg.
- Length: Male wing length is from 56.5 to 67 cm with an average 62 cm while female wing length is from 61.5 to 71.2 cm with an average 67 cm.
- Wingspan: The male wingspan of 1.89 to 2.15 m with an average of 2.02 m, while the female’s usual wingspan range is 2.12 to 2.2 m, with an average of 2.16 m.
- Average lifespan: around 20 years.
- Incubation period: 34-36 days.
The national animal of Nigeria, Eagles is one of the most magnificent birds of prey in Nigeria. Dark brown bodies and wings and tails with white heads. Some species are golden or black in color. Their legs and bills are bright yellows. Golden eagles have a quadrangle shaped tail and legs with fully feathering covered. Golden eagles’ wingspan is the fifth biggest among living eagle species. Eagles have heavier heads, larger, more powerfully curved beaks and more influential and larger bodies evaluate with other raptors. Some eagles have short wings and long tail, while others have long, wide wings and the short tail.