Map of South Australia | Political, Geography, Outline And Cities Map
South Australia occupies the south-central region of Australia. It covers some of the aridest parts of the country. Map of South Australia covers a total land area of 983,482 square kilometers (379,725 sq mi) making it the fourth-largest of Australia’s states and territories by area. The population of South Australia 1.77 million making it the fifth-largest state by population. The capital and largest city are Adelaide.
As with the rest of the continent, the region has a long history of human occupation by numerous tribes and languages. Europeans arrived in 1627, and by 1788 Britain had claimed South Australia as part of the colony of New South Wales. On January 1, 1901, South Australia transformed from a self-governing colony into a state of the Commonwealth of Australia.
Fast Facts About South Australia
- Name: South Australia
- Capital: Adelaide (1,230,000 population) (2012)
- Population: 1,674,700 (2014)
- Population Density: 1.67/km2 (4.3 /sq mi)
- Currency: Australian Dollar
- Largest Cities: (by population) Adelaide, Mount Gambier, Whyalla, Gawler, Port Pirie, Bridgewater, Port Augusta
- National Day: January 26
- Time Zone: UTC+9:30 (ACST) UTC+10:30 (ACDT)
Political Map of South Australia
South Australia is a state in the southern central part of Australia. Political Map of South Australia shares a border with Western Australia to the west, the Northern Territory to the north, Queensland to the north and east, and New South Wales and Victoria to the east. To the south, it fronts the Great Australian Bight, a marginal sea of the southern Indian Ocean (called the Southern Ocean in Australia). The capital and largest city are Adelaide.
Geography Map of South Australia
South Australia is the fourth largest of Australia’s states and territories. It is composed of arid to semi-arid terrain giving way to low mountain ranges. There are several mountain ranges in South Australia, amongst them the Flinders Ranges and the Musgrave Ranges.
The southern area of the state consists of the Nullarbor Plain in the west and the Spencer gulf coast in the southeast. There are also several lakes in the central part of South Australia: Lake Gairdner, Lake Torrens, Lake Eyre, and many smaller lakes. The lowest point of South Australia is Lake Eyre at −16 m (−52.5 ft).
- Land Area: (land) 379,725 sq miles (983,482 sq km) (water) 23,178 sq miles (60,032 sq km) (TOTAL) 402,903 sq miles (1,043,514 sq km)
- Highest Point: Mt. Woodroffe 4,708 ft (1,435 m)
- Lowest Point: Lake Eyre −16 m (−52.5 ft)
Outline Map of South Australia
Located in the southern central part of Australia, South Australia is geographically positioned in both the southern and eastern hemispheres. South Australia is bordered by New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Northern Territory, and Western Australia, as well as the Indian Ocean. Outline Map of South Australia covers a total land area of 983,482 square kilometers (379,725 sq mi). The population of South Australia 1.77 million making it the fifth-largest state by population.
Cities Map of South Australia
The capital city of South Australia is Adelaide, but there are quite a few other major towns, cities, and localities to choose from within the state.
- Mount Gambier – about 23,000
- Whyalla – just over 21,000
- Gawler – about 20,000
- Murray Bridge – just over 14,000
- Stirling – about 13,000
- Augusta- about 13,000
- Port Pirie – just over 13,000
- Port Lincoln – just over 13,000
- Mount Barker – about 11,000
- Victor Harbor – just over 10,000
Map of South Australia | Political, Geography, Outline And Cities Map is the Map of Australia . You can also free download Map images HD Wallpapers for use desktop and laptop.